-
My dad is a typical man who thinks that it's a wife's duty to serve her husband. Now don't get me wrong. My dad and I are in good terms and I love him with all my heart but I remember growing up trying all my best to stop my mum from following all his orders because I don't like the idea of it. Why does she has to bring you water? The kitchen is just a few steps away, couldn't you have done it by yourself? To me, it's implying that women have to serve men because they have lesser authority, they earn lesser than them, and therefore being perceived weaker than men.
I see my mum as an aspiring role model in life. She's a full time working mum, fiercely independent economically and emotionally. I'm proud of her for that.
It's not like my mum is wholly dependent on my dad. She never had to beg, or even request anyone for anything because she earns her own bucks. If she likes it, she'd get it on her own. So why is she feeling that she's obliged to do whatever my dad says? Like stand up for yourself already, mum! I get mad and upset each time I think about it and with that in mind, I constantly tell myself to never ever allow myself to be in such position.
Last night I was sitting on the edge of your bed, listening to the gentle rise and fall of your breath as you sleep. As I look at your face, I finally understood why my mum willingly oblige to all my dad's (I call it OKU) needs. She must have felt the same way I felt when you collapsed on your bed last night, completely exhausted after work, mumbling that you needed a good massage.
In the past I was dominated by this inner voice that tells me: "Don't be a fool.", "Don't let him know how much you like him.", "Don't tell him what you're really thinking."
But not this time; not when I'm with you.
With you I'm far better off being vulnerable.
I guess that's what people do when they truly love someone more than you love yourself -
you'd go extra miles to take care of him just to make sure he feels better.

0 comments:
Post a Comment